Sotong, or squid, is a delicious and versatile seafood that can be cooked in many ways. Whether you like it grilled, fried, stir-fried, or braised, sotong can add flavor and texture to any dish. we will show you how to make a simple and tasty sotong dish at the recipes below.
Kam Heong Sotong
500g squid, cleaned and cut into rings
1 tsp. corn flour
3 tbsp. oil
2 tbsp. dried shrimp, soaked in hot water
4 shallots, chopped
2 garlic, chopped
1 lemongrass (bottom white part only), chopped
3 chilli padi, chopped
2 stalks curry leaves
1 tbsp. curry powder
2 tsp. dark soy sauce
2 tsp. black pepper powder
¼ cup water
¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. sugar
1. Mix corn flour and squid and set aside. This helps tenderize the squid.
2. Drain off water from the dried shrimp and lightly fry until fragrant. Add in shallots, garlic and lemongrass. Sauté for 2 – 3 minutes on medium heat until it softens.
3. Add in chopped chilli padi and curry leaves, sauté until it becomes fragrant. Then add in fish curry powder, dark soy sauce and black pepper powder.
4. Pour in squid and give it a good stir. Add in a little water if it is too dry and season with salt and sugar and cook until the sauce dried up slightly. Done!
Squid Flowers with Oyster Sauce and Black Beans
400g calamari tubes(or you can use our frozen sotong flower)
3 tbsp vegetable Oil
1 shallots (finely sliced)
1 tbsp ginger (grated)
2 tbsp black bean sauce
1 red chilli (thinly sliced)
2 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Panda Oyster Sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 stalks spring onion (sliced)
1. Heat a wok and add the oil, then combine in the shallots and ginger. Stir fry for 30 secs then add in the black bean, chilli and oyster sauce.
2. Combine in the calamari and cook on high for 1 min, fold in the sesame oil, spring onions and serve.
Salted Egg Yolk Sotong
Your choice og oil for deep frying
1kg sotong / squid (or you can use our frozen sotong flower)
4salted egg yolks
30g unsalted butter
3sprigs curry leaves
2chilli padi (sliced)
100ml chicken stock
6tbsp evaporated milk
¼cup plain flour
¾cup corn flour
Salt and white pepper powder to taste
1.Separate salted egg yolk and steam for 10 minutes.
2.Mash salted egg yolks with a fork.
3.Clean sotong and cut into rings.
4.In a bowl mix corn flour, plain flour, salt, white pepper powder and water.
5.Coat sotong in batter.
6.Deep fry sotong for 3 minutes, until golden brown. Strain and set aside
7.In a pan, add 2 tbsp Borges extra light olive oil and 30g butter.
8.Add in curry leaves and chilli padi. Fry until fragrant.
9.Add in mashed salted egg yolk. Fry until it starts to foam.
10.Pour in chicken stock and evaporated milk. Stir and cook until salted egg yolk is emulsified.
11.Add in sugar and bring to boil. Let reduce until sauce like consistency.
12.Drizzle sauce over deep fried sotong.